Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I'm still alive

Just a quick post to say that I'm still alive and kickin'. I have been feeling a lot like Michael Keaton from Multiplicity. You know, the movie where he clones himself to get more done. Wouldn't that be nice.  So I survived my Friday Girls' Night Out craft night. I think it was a success. At least everyone said they had fun. I was a crazy woman running around all night. Thank goodness for my helpers. I got a little obsessed about the advent calendar kits. I spent insane hours preparing ahead of time. Actually, I'm still recovering from sleep deprivation. I was an idiot and would stay up until 2-3 am working on those kits. That was a once in a lifetime project to mass produce. I've learned my lesson.  I hope......

So Travis is only 7 days away from the end of radiation. Yeah! Unfortunately, the radiation accumulates and he has been sicker the past several days. Incredibly, he's still managing to work and make it to bankruptcy appointments and hearings. His worst symptom lately is nausea. He actually got sick while driving into Phoenix for a bankruptcy hearing today. He was on the freeway talking on the phone to me when he said, "I think I'm going to be sick." Then I hear some horrible noises that went on for a while. I kept asking him if he was safe and okay. He just kept throwing up. Then I heard a guy ask Travis if he was okay. We got disconnected and I immediately called back. He had thrown off his blue tooth when he got sick and pulled off on the shoulder of the freeway. Thankfully, he had a barf bag handy. It was a highway patrol car that stopped to see if Travis needed help. When I called him back he said he felt much better and went on to his hearing. Oh yea, he carried the barf bag (full) all the way to Phoenix and found a garbage when he got there! Is that a story or what? 

He announced to me today, "I'm sick of being sick." Amen. So am I.  I'm ready to move on. 

Honestly, I am floored by the faith and optimism of everyone I talk to. Everyone seems to know just the thing I need to hear at the moment. It keeps me going and helps my faith remain intact. I thank God for sending angels to help me through this. Travis and I are not going through this alone. We have literally hundreds of dear friends and family carrying us through this challenge.
I've said it before but have to say again how blessed I am. 

11 comments:

Kerri said...

Wow! How horrible for Travis to be so sick on the road and then for you to hear it on the phone, yikes!! I am just so excited that you guys are almost done with the radiation, yea!! And ... I heard your craft night was a huge hit!! Now you need some serious pampering!

Tiffany Hartman said...

Travis and Andrea-

We love you. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. We'll be in town often and we'll always have our phones.

HILLARY said...

Your hard work at girls night didn't go unnoticed! Everything went well and everyone had a lot of fun.
I'm sorry to hear that Travis has been so sick, he sure doesn't show it. Keep up the fight!
The Stapley's

Kathryn said...

I cannot begin to comment on the strength and grace you have maintained while facing these huge obstacles. Amazing - you're an inspiration to all of us. We love you guys!

Kate said...

First of all Andrea- Girls Night Out was awesome and you did such an amazing job. Everyone has all these beautiful works of art thanks to you and all your hard work.
Travis- You are seriously unbelieveable! To deal w/ nausea and keep going in your life is something I was unable to accomplish in my horrid morning sickness experiences. Great job! Thats so great that you're almost done. Oh and I'm happy to do pack mtg again if need be.

Angie said...

Andrea, I hope your Halloween costume is Wonder Woman because you amaze me!!!!! I am so sorry that Trav is getting sick. But using words from Mike's Rocky IV CD: "It's the final countdown!" We love you and will see you soon!

SBrooks said...

Wow - you have one amazing guy there!
Happy Halloween! Hope you can enjoy the night together, without sickness!

Melanie said...

First of all, thank you so much for all the work you put into the Girls Nite Out! It was amazing! (although we may have to chat about a little thing called delegation). Everything turned out so cute! Second, I am so excited for you guys that Travis is nearing the end of radiation! I'm sorry he has been feeling so horrible.

&D designs said...

Andrea - It was so good to see you the other night! Call me before you take off this weekend and I can run the money over to you - Andi

Broadbent Family said...

Yah! How nice to be done driving to Phoenix everyday and being sick all the time. Travis is such a trooper. He is honestly the most optimistic guy I know. We miss you guys and will see you in a month.

Claudia said...

I'm a little late but thank you so much for all of your hard work with the calendar kits! I absolutely love mine and can't wait to put it up. You're the best!