Thursday, October 9, 2008

Travis update

So many are asking about how Travis is doing these days. He has completed almost 2 weeks of the 6 weeks of radiation. He goes in 5 days a week to St. Joseph Hospital and the appointments last less than 30 minutes. The drive to and from is what makes it so time consuming. I go with Travis to keep him company a couple of times a week. Travis goes with his dad a couple days a week and then Travis goes with a great friend, Shaun Jeffs, once a week. He was doing morning appointments, but we found that he felt pretty cruddy the rest of the day. So now he goes in the afternoon so at least he can work the first 1/2 of the day. His main symptoms are nausea, fatigue and basically just the yuckies. (Is that a word?) He is managing the nausea with Zofran and it seems to be helping. He is very sensitive to the radiation and has come to actually feel it enter his body. He feels kind of weird for a while after it is done. He wears a custom mesh face mask that is bolted to the table and he must hold perfectly still for 15 minutes. He has gotten very good at meditating and finding his "happy place" so as to make it bearable. His sense of smell is very heightened. He cannot even tolerate sitting in the waiting room so he checks in and waits outside the building. It doesn't smell bad to me but has a very distinct smell that Travis is adverse to. Very interesting. All in all, he is doing very well with it. We are making a graduation trip (from radiation) to Utah as soon as the 6 weeks are up. That gives us something fun to look forward to. Go Cougars!!!

On top of that, there has been a tremendous amount of drama in my family. Besides my sister having her first baby, my mom had foot surgery 12 days ago and cannot walk on it for 6 weeks. At this very moment my dad is having open heart surgery to correct a regurgitating valve in his heart.  He had a horrible experience on a hunt in Colorado a few weeks ago and nearly died of pulmonary edema. (fluid in the lungs from high altitude) The doctors recommended a cardiology consult. That's when they found the problem with his heart. He has been having difficulty recovering from the pulmonary edema, but on top of that a regurgitating valve causes difficulty breathing. Double whammy. 

I am beginning to feel like a rubber band being stretched as far as it can go. I am trying to hold it together so I don't snap. Thank goodness for support of friends, family and church. 

12 comments:

Kate said...

Wow Andrea you do have a lot of drama in your life. And it couldn't happen to better people. Our prayers are with you guys.

SBrooks said...

Wow girlie! it is pouring at your house but the sun will come soon!Can I offer some treats to a heightened yummy smell for a moment? Call me with your number!

Brannon and Jen said...

Andrea-you are one of the most amazing women I know! I know you will make it through this. I can't believe it's all happening at once. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers.

Nichole Barney said...

All I can think of is what amazing people you are and how impressed I am with how you handle all these trials! Hang in there! You will be blessed for all that you are dealing with!

Amy said...

Andrea,
Wow! You truely are amazing! Hang in there, please let us know if you can use any help. I kid break or dinner whatever.
Amy

Jill Ison said...

That truly is a ton to deal with. You are always in such high spirits when I see you, for instance when you were with me in nursery yesterday I never would have thought all this!!! We keep you in our prayers. hang in there. You need a break.

DeShelle said...

Keep smiling guys, you are doing great! We would love to say hi when you come to Utah. If you are up to it and have the time, let us know.

Angie said...

thank you for the update on Trav! We have been thinking a lot about you guys. Andrea, it is ok to vent and have a melt down. I know I would have cracked a long time ago. Get all of that frustration and anxiety out of your system. Take care of yourself!!!! (I hope I am sounding supportive and not beastly). Your whole family are in our prayers and we can't wait until November!!!! Go Cougars!

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

Like I have always said you are one amazing lady!!! I definately would have snapped long ago. Our thoughts and prayers are continuously with you and your family. Hang in there!
JoLynn

Kerri said...

Oh we are thinking of you!! You guys have a heavy load and we are here to help where we can!! You continue to be in our prayers!

lovinglife said...

Oh Andrea! So many trials. Your faith and optimism simply amaze me. I will pray for you and your sweet family. Thinking of you! Darcy

Claudia said...

Andrea,
I'm so late leaving you a comment. I just wanted to tell you that this is the same surgery Blake (my hubby) two years ago. Maybe you already know this but if your dad is having trouble sleeping at night have him sleep in a recliner. No one told us that Blake would not be able to lay down to sleep.

I love all of your photos. You have really used that photo class we took last February!
love,
Claudia