Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Caribbean Cruise...how lucky am I?

Last week my dental office went on a Caribbean cruise for 4 days. I am only working very part-time but they took me anyway. Isn't that nice? Travis and I decided it would be much more cost efficient for him to stay home and play Mr. Mom, so off I went not quite knowing what to do with myself and all MY OWN free time. Travis does such a tremendous job with the kids and the house, but I must say I was a little concerned with how prepared he was just 2 weeks after completing radiation. Thankfully, he was brilliant and everyone had a good time at home. Of course, I had the best time ever. I really needed a break. It was amazing. 

This is at the second port in Cozemel. My ship was called "Grandeur of the Sea." 

My roommate, Ally and I along with 3 others from my office went on a 2 tank dive in Cozemel, Mexico. This dive spot is among the top few diving areas in the world. The water was incredible...it was a comfortable 78-80 degrees. We went over 80 feet down and the visibility was over 90 feet. We saw vibrant fish and coral as well as lobster and crab. We swam through a couple of tunnels. Happily we saw nothing scary. Who isn't terrified at the thought of a shark encounter?

I am standing on the southernmost point of Key West on a pier. The water was the most gorgeous color and SUPER clear. Ally and I got a Pina Colada (virgin, of course) and walked around the pier and soaked up the scenery.
For almost the same price as a bus tour, we were able to rent scooters and cruise around the 2 by 4 mile island at our leisure. I felt a little dangerous, but cannot deny what a blast it was to see the whole island from a scooter. I loved every minute of it. I topped out at 26 mph. It was hilarious!
We had a great time on the ship and did a lot of eating and laughing. We went to shows every night and I even ended up singing a little Britney Spears at Karaoke Night. Talk about moving outside my comfort zone. My friend, Heather, sang  Madonna and ended up winning 3rd place in the finals on our last night. What makes it so unbelievable is that she is usually very quite and conservative at the office. Did I mention she is a dentist and mother of 4? She blew us all away. She pulled out moves I haven't seen since the 80's like the Roger Rabbit and the Running Man. She definitely tapped into a hidden talent.

I also did well in the negotiating department in Mexico on a shopping adventure. I got some lovely pieces of silver and haggled my way down to a fair price. I enjoyed that quite a lot. Oh, did I mention that I got bitten on the face by a macaw while being photographed with 3 of them on my shoulders and head? That was interesting. 

 I loved the chance to get away and recharge my "Andrea" battery. It felt great to laugh and do nothing but entertain myself for 4 straight days. But I have to admit, I got a little antsy towards the end and my instinct to get home and take care of my family really kicked in. My love and appreciation for Travis only grew while I was away. I came home Monday night to happy kids and a clean house. Travis is quite the guy, huh? It's so cliche but true, "absence makes the heart grow fonder."  I have a truly blessed life.

7 comments:

Angie said...

YOU LUCKY DUCK!!!!!! How much fun is that! I bet you enjoyed every minute of it! I see Teresa in the pix, please give her a great big hug from me! There is nothing more enjoyable than going away and knowing that your kids are totally safe because they are with their daddy! Those are real men!

jenreeder said...

I am so excited for you! It looks like a great time and Yea for Travis keeping the kids safe and happy!

kaleyq said...

So jealous!! But a much needed break for you--so fun!!

Cara Jones said...

You look so GREAT!! I am jealous and happy for you - so glad you are taking time for yourself! And KUDOS to Travis - what a MAN.

Kerri said...

Wow, what a fun trip for you! You deserved every minute of that! I am glad you were able to get away for a few days and have some "alone time". We all need that every now and again!

lovinglife said...

I am SO HAPPY for you that you got a well deserved break!! Good for you! What a great trip! I loved all the details. i think about you and your family all the time. Hope you guys are enjoying this Christmas season. Take care! Miss you! Darcy

Unknown said...

The beautiful sight of the blue ocean is the trademark of the Caribbean Sea. Well, the best Caribbean destination for me is the city of Havana in Cuba. The place is often described as “A City That’s Trapped in Time” because it can capture everybody’s imagination like no other. This reminds me of the movie “Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights.”

Erasmo Milsap