Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Skiing Sunrise, Chillin' in Greer

Travis and I spent the weekend at Greer Lodge Resort with some great friends, Kelee and Robert. We had a gift card to use at this charming resort from Travis' dad and decided after one year, it was time to redeem it. We stayed in our own little cabin amidst snow and icicles. It was literally freezing and I loved it! 

My darling husband on top on Sunrise Mountain...he was a bit nervous about how the skiing would be since the surgery. He struggled a little with his balance and coordination. It took a little while, but it came back to him quickly.  At first I was out skiing him, but an hour into our day, I was having a hard time keeping up!
Whoa! Action shot:
Me zipping down the mountain:

Kelee and Robert in the lodge at breakfast:
Our cabin was right next to the Red Setter Lodge where we were served breakfast each morning. It was delicious! 
It was a quick weekend, but so enjoyable. I loved curling up in sweats, wrapped in a blanket, drinking hot chocolate, watching movies, and visiting with some of my favorite people. I loved skiing again after an 8 year break. It wasn't too bad...kind of like riding a bicycle. Although, 3 days later, my legs are still feeling it! I definitely need to get back on the mountain sooner next time. 

A couple funny moments on the mountain.......I took a wrong turn and ended up at the top of a black diamond run (for experts) about an hour into my day. I made the decision to remove my skis and hike down the hill until I could handle the slopes. I did NOT want to go home in a cast!
It was humbling and a bit humiliating, but I know my limits. I wasn't about to push it. From that point, I paid close attention to the signs.

Towards the end of the day, while on the lifts, Travis' feet went to sleep. When it was time to get off the lift, Travis went spread eagle and landed on his face. His skis fell off and he laid there for a minute. The operator asked if he was okay. Travis said, "My feet are asleep!" We all started laughing and he got up and put his skis back on and away we went.

Fabulous weekend. We need to do more of that.

Travis update: We continue to have friends and loved ones wondering what the latest is concerning Travis' health and the tumor. Travis has an MRI at the end of the month to see how the tumor looks since radiation ended in November. Life has moved forward for our family and we don't dwell on or think too much about all of this. We love life and enjoy spending each day with one another and our kids. We continue to feel strong and positive about the outcome. Travis is doing great and feels wonderful. 

11 comments:

by: Kim said...

Glad you are all doing well. You have a cute little family. Talking about skiing I have never been because I would break something.

Toby and Emily said...

It looks like fun!

Angie said...

If I had to act out my dance jams class, Travis will have to act out him falling off of the lift! That is AWESOME!!!!!!

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

That looks like a blast. Brian and I haven't been skiing in years but we really do enjoy it. It looks like you had a wonderful time!

I'm also glad that things are going well for Travis and you.

Oh and I'm still sticking with my running. I'd do better with it if I'd run more than 2 or 3 times a week. I must get more serious with it. It's hard to sometimes make the time, as I'm sure you know. But I'm trying and it's a one day at a time challenge.

Take Care,
JoLynn

P.S. Thanks for all your inspiration!

Amy said...

Andrea, I'm so happy to hear your update on Travis and that he is doing well. I think of you often. So glad you had fun on your ski weekend. It sounds great!

Broadbent Family said...

What a fun vacation. Are you guys ever home? I got the CD Valentines Day. Thanks again.

Kelee said...

That was such a great get-away! Thanks again! You guys are so much fun to travel with...never a dull moment! Can't wait for the next trip!

CeeJ said...

Wow- sounds like SUCH fun!!! :)

You guys are awesome!!!

I'm so glad I got the opportunity to get to know you better!!! :)

Can't wait to see those pics of your puppy!!! ;D

Rhonda said...

All your trips look so fun. Now I'm waiting for a post of that new puppy. How are things going with her?

sweetpea baby said...

That is so Awesome you got to go skiing, its funny because I just went skiing 2 weeks ago to sundance after 10 years and you are right it is just like riding a bike. That took guts to take off your skiis on that black diamond. I am glad to hear you are all doing well. Love Tana

Amy G. said...

Looks like a blast! Josh's family hails from that very same Greer. We love it up there--though we're both party poopers when it comes to skiing. Glad the rest of the world finds enjoyment in the sport :)