Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ragnar Relay

My latest adventure happened last weekend when I participated in the Del Sol Ragnar Relay, a 202 mile race from Prescott to Mesa. I was on a team of 12 fun people organized by my friend, Kori. I ran over 15 miles from Friday to Saturday afternoon. It was a crazy, sleep-deprived, adrenaline-pumping experience and I loved every minute of it. I can't wait until next year to do it again.

This was my final leg in Fountain Hills. It was a short but brutal run. I spent the middle mile running straight up an insane hill. I should say I ran/walked. I am not that tough.
This is our team. We called ourselves the "Yoggers" , I think, from Anchorman. I don't get it. There were 5 girls and 7 guys. (Our first runner is already running and his wife is standing in.)
We had 2 suburbans with 6 people in each one. I was in the second car and was runner #7. Tessie and Garrett brought "Bettie," their motor home. It was great to have a place to rest and hang out when our group of 6 wasn't running. We watched movies, ate and slept. Kori and I even managed a couple of quick showers between runs. We had a new running outfit for each of our 3 runs. I don't think the guys changed once. Big surprise.

One of the most interesting and freaky parts of the whole experience was my 8 mile midnight run on a dark highway outside of Wickenburg. I ran with a reflector vest and a flashlight. I could hear coyotes in the desert that I was running next to. It was a little strange and scary. My team shadowed me so I was never completely alone. They had a blow horn and would yell encouragement to me. It was great. 
Here I am with Kori at exchange 7 where I was waiting for Julie (Runner #6) to pass the baton to me. It was a little nerve-wracking and I was anxious to get started.


This was one of the coolest, most unique experiences I've had. I loved the whole thing. The people on my team were a riot! They kept the weekend super exciting and fun. I seriously want to do it again and can't wait until next year. Kaley, I should come up in June and join your team!

11 comments:

kaleyq said...

You make it look soooo easy! It would be a blast if you joined us---keep training, you never know!! I better get serious about my training now! Congrats on finishing. Looks like it was a fun group!

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

Wow. That sounds like so much fun. Can an former runner from CA join the next time?

Elder Eric Hadder said...

Good for you! This is not one of my goals (I guess I like that fat right where it is), but I can sure appreciate how hard it is. Great pictures. I am sending you virtual cheers...Go Andrea!!

SBrooks said...

You are crazy girl! Run Forest! Run!

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

WOW!!! O.K. So you have been my role model/superhero for awhile now but that just pushed you way over the top! You are truly like so amazing! WOW, is all I can say.

I'm struggling with being able to work up to my 4.2 miles for this Tillman Run. Good grief, what you did is like so awesome! I hope someday maybe I can do that. But I doubt it. I have finally worked up to 2.5 miles. I hope I make my 4.2. mile goal by April 18th. If you have any pointers let me know. I swear I have a mental block and feel like I can't do that. Which I won't be able to if I don't get past that. Oh well, you've now inspired me, once again!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!
JoLynn

Tiff said...

Gosh dang! I think my knees would be mush running on pavement like that. They were destroyed by the time I was 11. Good for you!! :)

Tana said...

Good for you! I am so proud that you have become a regular runner! Keep up the good work! Happy Birthday early by the way! I hope you enjoy your special day this week! Love Ya!

Kathryn said...

Way to go, Andrea! Almost makes me want to do it with you next year! Tee hee

Jill Ison said...

i was amazed when I heard what this was in rs that next sunday! I think I would have been too freaked out to run at night in the middle of nowhere. im a scardy cat. You're awesome.

lovinglife said...

Andrea, you are AMAZING!! What a runner you are! I am SO IMPRESSED!! Let's talk soon. I'm glad you had a good birthday.
Darcy

Kerri said...

How fun! I did one of those 12 man relay races in the Bay Area a couple years before I got married, not sure if I could do it now! Running in the middle of the night is brutal but looking back it makes for a fun memory! Glad you had so much fun!