Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Travis graduates from PT

Yesterday Travis had his last physical therapy appointment with Dr. Robert Whipple. Last week Doc told Travis that he thought Travis was ready to be done with PT. He told Travis how much fun it has been to watch Travis progress so quickly the past several weeks. It has been 6 weeks since his surgery. Travis has diligently followed all instructions to speed his recovery along. He has improved amazingly quickly. I thought it was neat to hear that a physical therapist was so impressed with that diligence. It really is miraculous when you think about what Travis has gone through....major brain surgery and he's back to nearly 100%. Someone made a comment that they don't bounce back that quickly from a cold! Kind of funny.

The next step is an appointment with the radiation doc to get another MRI and be fitted with a "mask" to wear during radiation treatments. We'll do that next week then be ready to begin radiation. So we are probably looking at radiation in about 2-3 weeks. That will last a long 6 1/2 weeks of daily treatments at St. Joe's in Phoenix. We are planning on working with our naturopathic oncologist, Dr. Rubin, to keep Travis as strong and energetic as possible. I have no doubt that he be a superstar through all this!

I have officially entered the working force once again! It's been a full decade since I worked a full day of dental hygiene. But today Dr. Mike Greding was kind enough to invite me to fill in for his regular hygienist while she was out of town. I actually enjoyed it. Now I'm not saying I would prefer to work outside the home full-time, but what a huge blessing to be able to contribute financially when we need it. I have been working a half day each week for several years now but welcome the opportunity to pick up more hours. Luckily, I have all kinds of great dental connections and friends. Travis played Mr. Mom this morning dropping kids off at school then back home from work at 2:45 to drive carpool after school. How great is that? Travis continues to work for Cornerstone Homes part time but they continue to need him less and less. He has time to practice law on his own as well as some bankruptcy law with Clint Smith. This still provides a flexible schedule for doctor's appointments and carpooling!

I am thankful for how the Lord provides a way for us to make things work in our family. We are doing great, we are happy, optimistic, and taking care of one another and our children. I am not living in fear. I don't know what the future holds for us (who does?!) but I view life as a gift to treasure. How many of us live our lives thinking about tomorrow and not living in the moment. I am definitely guilty of that.  I don't want to waste a single day or take anything for granted. I think that this human experience is for us to learn to be happy and make the most of each day. Maybe that is something I need to learn from all this. I am so task-oriented. I busy myself and forget to stop and enjoy the simple everyday moments that make life special. Stop and play with the kids, sit on the couch and chat with my husband, bake something with Ella, let Olivia talk to me without walking around the house working, maybe even play Indiana Jones on the Wii with Ethan and Ryan......that will challenge me a bit. I don't want to have any regrets. Relationships, not tasks. That's what it's all about.

12 comments:

Rhonda said...

That is awesome! I'm so glad to hear that he is doing so well. I want to hear more about all that you have learned. I'm wondering now if I'm poisoning my kids with everything in my kitchen. I cut out using any plastic in the microwave when Emily was a baby but we still have all those cute plates and things made in China.

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

I check your blog nearly everyday just because you guys are such an inspiration to me! I'm so happy to hear that Travis is doing well. I also think that it is awesome that you can see all your blessings and that Lord in mindfull of you and your family. You are an incredible family!

Snowball said...

I'm so happy to hear everything is going well. I really appreciate the updates.. Thank You

Love, Joyce

jenreeder said...

Thanks for the post... I needed the reminder today. So many things on the "to do" list... life gets too crazy sometimes with meaningless stuff. I want to learn to slow down a bit more, too! xoxo

DeShelle said...

Hey Williams Family...I was just told about your blog and I am so glad to get updated on your family. Travis, you are in my prayers. Our family blog is utahburtonfamily.blogspot.com Come check us out. Keep up the good spirits. Your family is an inspiration.

akelly said...

I think that I am related to Robert Whipple. My great aunt and uncle are Bud and Virginia Whipple and I think Robert is their son. I am so happy that Dr. Whipple praised his quick recovery and diligence. Congrats to you for working "full time' once again, even though moms never get 'off the clock'.
We love ya!

aelizabethgarner said...

Hey Williams family. Small world. I was reading your blog and Justin said hey, Dr. Whipple, that's brother Whipple. He used to be in our bishopric and is in our ward in Mesa. Kind of fun. Glad everything is going well. i saw Travis from a distance Friday and he looks great. Keep up the updates, we miss you guys.

Anne Garner

lovinglife said...

What a beautiful post Andrea. We all can learn from you to live in the moment and take time to appreciate our families. I admire you so much and will continue to pray for your family. You all amaze me. Hugs from CA, Darcy

Amy G. said...

you are a good woman, andrea. we can all learn so much from you! i'm grateful to have gotten to know you this year!

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

We think about you all the time. We're so glad that things have gone so well! It's amazing to see how Heavenly Father works. Have fun on the job!

Brannon and Jen said...

Andrea, you and Travis are amazing. I'm so glad to hear he is doing so well. I've been wondering how you were. I just started blogging here in NC. My prayers are with your family.

Jill Ison said...

So glad to hear everything is going well. I love how you're always cheerful. I wish I was more cheerful. Now that the weather is getting nice maybe we'll see you guys at the park a bit more often! Love your blog.