Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Doctors, Doctors

I'm usually behind the camera so today I thought I'd take my own picture with my sweetie.
Besides needing a haircut, look how amazingly great this looks! Really unbelievable.
It's been 5 weeks since surgery. 

Yesterday we had a post-op with Dr. Spetzler. Everything is going great with recovery. He basically told us that if everything goes well we should never have to see him again. He told us that the surgery went exactly how they hoped and the recovery is going just as well. He said they can never predict how someone will do with a low-grade glioma (specifically, astrocytoma grade II)  but Dr. Spetzler sees the most difficult cases in the world and he thinks Travis will do very well.

Today we consulted with Dr. Daniel Rubin, a Naturopathic Oncologist. We really liked him and felt like he was on the exact same page as us. He answered all kinds of questions we have been gathering from our extensive research over the past few months. He was very good at putting everything together for us in a concrete treatment plan. He started Travis out on a variety of immune-boosting supplements and ordered some tests. He is in favor of radiation and will help Travis keep up his energy and health during the course of radiation treatments. We now have to decide when to begin. 

Dr. Rubin also gave us some interesting "food for thought" about environmental products that have a toxic and carcinogenic affect on us. By the end of the appointment, my head was swimming with all the info he gave us, but he assured us that we can make small changes over time and eventually get to where we want to be. Wondering what I'm talking about? I'll talk about it later when I have a chance to read some things over a bit more. Let me just say, I'll have to get rid of my favorite (very pliable) purple tumblers that I drink my water in every day. Apparently, the ingredient that makes plastic really pliable is toxic and over time can be bad for you. I know that sounds strange, but have you heard about water bottles and not freezing them or heating them up because it releases a toxic chemical into the water from the bottle? The chemical is called phthalates. (the ph is silent) If you want to know exactly what it does go to ewg.org. Like I said, it is overwhelming. There is so much to learn. I'll share the good stuff as I can. 

By the way, we welcome visitors and treats! I think we have scared away friends, neighbors and church members who don't want to "intrude." PLEASE feel welcome to drop in and see us. We love the company! We are doing great.

5 comments:

kaleyq said...

SO wish that we were close enough to "pop" in! You two look so cute and so happy! I am so glad that things went well with your dr appts. Sure do miss you!

Shari Goodman said...

So happy for you both. I know how overwhelming it is when you start to learn about all the horrible things in our foods and environments. I had panic attacks and finally had to just slow down and take it step by step and not google too much at a time. Now it seems like second nature. It is all so worth it though. Keep up the good work! Just remember that by doing all you can do, the Lord will do the rest. You are doing the work.

akelly said...

You guys are such an adorable couple! I am soooo happy that the dr appts went well and I hope you NEVER see Dr. Speltzer (or whatever his name is) again! Did you know I am related to Jenny Flake of Picky Palate? She is my cousin, Cullen's wife. Small world huh! We miss you!

Noelle said...

So glad to hear Travis and the rest of you are doing better. We think of you often and we need to come make a visit now that Travis is healing. We have a blog if you want to visit and keep in touch. Keep on keeping on. You are a stenght to us. blogginwiththeosborns.blogspot.com

Karl Krause said...

Hi Andrea,

I am a brain stem glioma patient, recently diagnosed, and I just heard about Dr. Spetzler. I'd love to ask you some questions about your treatment, as I am considering surgery myself. You can email me at karlwkrause "at' gmail. I hope to hear from you!