Saturday, August 16, 2008

Meet Little Piggy

Introducing the newest member of the Williams clan!......Meet Little Piggy!
Olivia turned 10 on Friday and since she has been begging for a dog we figured she would be satisfied with just about any mammal. We went to Petsmart for a hamster and came home with a guinea pig.
The kids are in love and Little Piggy is adjusting well. A funny story about how I came to pick this particular little guy....I was looking at the selection of guinea pigs and an employee told me they had one up for adoption. His previous owners brought him back with a respiratory infection the first time and then back to the store with a broken leg. I told her I would see him but was skeptical about a "damaged" pet. She took me to the "Employees Only" area and into a little back room where they had him a a small cage. I took one look at him and had to have him! He is the prettiest color and has a sweet temperament. He kind of drags his back foot a bit because it healed a little crooked. The lady made me promise to love him and take good care of him and then I took him home for free! What a deal. I saved myself $35. Travis says we should get Little Piggy a buddy!
Actually, our cat Max thinks Little Piggy is his new toy. He has been camped out by the cage in Olivia's room since we brought him home. Piggy is still a baby of about 4-6 months old. I'm not sure if he is safe from Max yet. We'll have to see later.

I'm excited about this new addition. Guinea pigs are apparently intelligent, social and gentle pets. They bond with their owners and even whistle when you come into the room. That sold me because everyone told us that hamsters bite and always try to get away from you and their cage. Little Piggy doesn't bite but he kind of licks and nibbles at our fingers. He's so cute.

4 comments:

&D designs said...

Andrea - this is such a sweet story! I am not a guinia pig lover because I am so afraid of mice - but story makes me think a little. That picture of your cat is a little funny - andi

Rhonda said...

Ah, he is so cute. Emily would have every animal out there if we'd let her.

Angie said...

I don't know if it is true but I heard guinea pigs don't smell as bad as hamsters. We will just stick with our pet rock named Dog and our other pet rock named Cat.

Amy G. said...

congratulations! and good luck! (can you tell just exactly how i feel about pets??? i'm with angie...rocks are good for now :))