Friday, May 30, 2008

Our New Reality

Travis did another MRI first thing this morning.  It took an hour and forty minutes. Travis was never claustrophobic before but that changed today! Sadly, I didn't go with him and it was such a miserable experience.  He then went to bankruptcy court to represent a client.  Then it was on to meet with Dr. Mark Lyons at the Mayo Clinic.  Not a fun day for him at all!  But I did get to join him at the Mayo Clinic.

Dr. Lyons was helpful.  He didn't have anything new to say but was compassionate and answered our questions very well. He gave us an option that we hadn't considered but are now giving it some thought.  The tumor seems to be stable and not growing right now.  We can watch it close and check on it regularly with MRI's (like every 6 weeks, at first).  The radiation therapy is still the other option we have but we may not do it right away. Unfortunately, there is no cure for this, no way to remove it or chemotherapy to kill it.  Radiation could help but eventually it could begin to grow again.  This could happen in months, years or even decades.  

The point I'm at is that this is our new reality......something we will be dealing will for the rest of our lives.  We can do that.  It's just different from before.  As with Ella's illness, I feel in awe of life.  How fragile it is. How quickly things can change.  The trivial things mean nothing to me right now.  My focus is on my faith, family, friends and enjoying each day I have with the people I love.  Travis and I are really so blessed.  This has been so evident through this experience. Dozens of calls and emails, meals coming in, treats dropped off, friends taking my kids ALL DAY if needed. The kindness of others is overwhelming. Heavenly Father is working miracles through all of these wonderful people.  I feel confident that we will continue to be blessed with strength and hope.

4 comments:

Shawni said...

Andrea you are one strong woman. You are such an inspiration. So is travis. I'll call when I get back in town to see what you need help with.

SBrooks said...

You both are rock stars! We don't know the rhyme or reason to things. I know at times in our lives, we have wissed for a quick glipse to future events to prepare. As with Joseph Smith "Rough Stone Rolling", he was a rough stone tumbling down a large mountain, getting refined and defined along the way. You are an amazing family and should be remarkable jewels through all your trials and faith! We are here if you need us. We know the many phone calls and don't want to bombard you anymore. If you need a sweet treat, I am your girl!

Amy G. said...

you really are awesome andrea. what an amazing attitude and strength you have. let me know if i can take your kids for you, run an errand, dinner...whatever you need!

aelizabethgarner said...

Andrea and Travis:

I just heard the news last night and have been thinking about your sweet family since. You are in our prayers. I have always admired how well you face challenges with the most amazing outlook and attitude. We love you and miss seeing you take long walks in your wagon around the neighborhood. Love Anne Garner