Thursday, May 29, 2008

No More Answers

What an emotionally draining day it has been.  I like to think how strong and positive I am trying to be and appreciate others saying that also, but today I feel very........tired.  We met with Dr. Ashby at the Barrow's Institute in Phoenix.  She confirmed the presence of the tumor but needs another MRI to get different images.  She got Travis in first thing tomorrow morning.  She meets with a team of doctors on Monday and wants the new MRI for that meeting.  So it sounds like we won't have any more answers until at least Monday.  She thinks the tumor is a glioma tumor but without a biopsy she can't be certain. On Monday the doctors will discuss the possibility of doing a biopsy.  They won't do it if they think it's too risky.  Fortunately, the surgeon who would do the procedure is a world-renowned neurosurgeon, Dr. Spetzler.  The tricky thing about a glioma tumor is that it cannot be removed because it is made up of filaments that weave through the brain like a grapevine.  It sounds like the most likely treatment will be radiation.  It would be 6 weeks long of daily treatments (Monday through Friday).  

Travis is such a superstar!  He is being so patient and loving with the kids.  My patience is tapped out.  While I was quickly trying to brush teeth and get them into bed, Ella said I am being a bad mom.  Now I know she doesn't really mean that but it's a hard thing to hear on a day like this one.  We mentioned to Olivia that Travis had some doctor appointments because he hasn't been feeling well.  She looked concerned and asked, "But it worked out fine in the end, right?"  I believe it will work out fine in the end.  We just have a long road ahead of us.  

6 comments:

Mendy said...

Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. I hope you know that we are so willing to do anything that we can to help! I look forward to participating in the fast and pray that you will feel the support and comfort that you need.

Caryn said...

I am thinking about you constantly! You are doing a great job as a Mom and how you are handling everything shows that. You are such a sweet family and I know you will be stronger when this is all over.

LadyL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

Oh guys, I just read your last few posts. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this! You're in our prayers and we are waiting for amazing things to happen - really, really soon.

Maren said...

I am so sorry Andrea. Really I am.

Leslie said...

Hey there. I can't seem to stop thinking you and Travis, even while I am on vacation. I love you guys.