Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Best and Worst

We are back home hanging out with the kids on a relaxed Saturday. I'm suffering from post-trip blahs. I don't feel like doing anything at all! Travis and I had such a nice time away, even if it was for doctor's appointments.....we'll take what we can get. We are still laughing about the adventures we had in exploring a new city. Here is a list of the best and worst we encountered.

Worst:
  • While taking a scenic drive through a questionable part of town, I witnessed a man urinating towards the road.......I saw EVERYTHING and am still having nightmares!
  • Downtown traffic
  • Getting stuck at literally every light 
  • None of the roads were straight....they bent, criss-crossed, changed names, ended; it took all three days to even begin to figure it out. No Grid System there.....we love our grid!
  • Road construction (can you tell we had issues with the roads?)
  • Humidity (I'm a full-fledged Arizona-heat kind of girl)
  • "Don't Mess with the Zohan".....please don't see this movie! It's the WORST!
Best:
  • D'Amicos Italian Market Cafe (the best healthy pizza we've ever had)
  • Marriott Springhill Inn: a 2 room suite at a great price
  • Sleeping in 2 days in a row
  • All the massive trees hanging over all the roads.....it felt like a forest in the city
  • Very cool homes tucked into neighborhoods in downtown Houston
  • Getting to be with Travis 24/7 for 3 days.....I loved every minute of it
We had another hilarious episode on our first day. At the hospital they have you pay parking in the lobby. When we got to the exit in the garage, the machine wouldn't accept our paid ticket. Cars were lining up behind us and we couldn't do a thing about it. A guy in a truck behind us told us to pull forward to the barricade arm and he would put his ticket in so we could both get out. We figured it was a good idea so Travis pulled forward. As soon as the arm lifted, Travis peeled out and the truck followed. Travis looked in the rearview mirror just as the arm came down on the guy's truck. Travis said, "Oh crap! The arm just hit the guy's truck!" I cowered down in my seat and yelled, "Go! Go! Go!" For some reason Travis listened to me and drove out of there as fast as our Hyundai would take us. We approached a light and the guy drove up next to us and looked over at us. He was smiling and gave us the thumbs up.....so no harm done. Thankfully, he had a good sense of humor  and wasn't too worried about his work truck.

 

4 comments:

Joanna Heiden said...

Andrea,
Thanks for the update. We are praying for your family.
Joanna Heiden

Angela said...

Sounds like you had a good time in Houston. I spent my summers there when I was growing up...I loved every minute of it, but you never get used to that humidity!
Angela Miner

&D designs said...

I hope everything is going well - I have been thinking of your family

akelly said...

I loved that list! I was totally laughing about the whole parking gate/truck incident. I could just see you hiding, yelling, "go, go go!!!" Ha Ha Mike saw Zohan with a buddy and he said it was good he saved me from watching it. It sounds like one of those stupid guy movies where you come out with less brain cells than when you walked in.