Sunday, June 1, 2008

Fast Sunday

Today was fast Sunday. Fasting has never been my favorite or a strength so I was anxious about doing it well.....especially with today's purpose in mind.  I knew Church would be difficult but I had no idea what an emotional overload it would end up being. Denny Barney conducted and mentioned our family and the purpose for the ward fast.  Then there were several amazing testimonies borne, mostly by the youth who just returned from a pioneer trek.  At the end, President Barker from the Stake Presidency made some final comments and bore his testimony. He talked about how our family has a hand cart and we are pushing through some big challenges. It was so powerful and overwhelmed the whole congregation.  Then Denny Barney invited the entire ward to come into the Chapel, they closed the overflow area and we all knelt for a ward family prayer.  I've never experienced anything like this before.  Bishop Breinholt gave an amazing prayer and actually pleaded for Travis to be made well, if it be the will of Heavenly Father.  There didn't seem to be a dry eye in the chapel.  The Spirit was incredibly strong.  I could literally feel the love and strength of the members of the ward......all our dear friends. Many people came up to us and gave us hugs and encouraging words afterwards.  
I have been keeping it together quite well this past week and a half, but I couldn't keep myself from weeping most of the time at Church.  I felt so exhausted by the end of the three hours, but enormously comforted and at peace.  I am so thankful for the faith, fasting and prayers of so many.  I love you all!

13 comments:

kaleyq said...

What a neat experience! Wish we could have participated with you in person. We mentioned to the kids a few days ago that we (Dennis and I) would be fasting with a specific purpose--for Brother Williams. WIthout being reminded, Maren remembered this morning and mentioned that she, too, wanted to fast for Travis. You are in our constant thoughts and prayers. We love you!

Caryn said...

Honestly, I still get weepy thinking about it. It was an amazing experience to share with our ward family! I loved Pres Barker's analogy about the hand cart. Just remember we are all there to help you move the rocks that get in your way! In the YW testimony meeting everyone related to what he said about your family. Those girls love and miss you being in there!

Thanks for letting us all share in such a tremendous testimony building experience.

Amy G. said...

That was such a sweet experience this morning. Where else can you find so much support except with your ward family? What a blessing.

Tracey said...

Andrea - I check your blog periodically & I haven't checked it, obviously since you heard this terrible news. I am so sorry to read this, I am actually totally stunned. You are in my thoughts & prayers, pls let me know if there is anything we can do to help. What a neat experience in sacrament meeting today, what strong people you are to endure something like this. I will be thinking of you & am so sorry you have such a heavy burden to carry @ this time!
Tracey Simas

Jen said...

Andrea,
I am so sad to read about your family's struggle. I can't believe how strong you are. You are amazing. I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. You seem to be in such a great ward surrounded by great people. Stay strong.
Jen Tanner

Melanie said...

I wish we could have been there yesterday to add our support and fasting to the rest of the ward's (we were out of town). I hope you know that we are thinking of you guys and praying for you, and would seriously love to help out in any way you might need. You are such an incredible example of faith and positive attitude! I know you will be blessed for that!

lovinglife said...

You are truly amazing Andrea. I don't know how you do it. I'm so glad I got to talk to you today. You and Travis and your sweet children will definitely be in our prayers. You are very strong and full of faith. Wish we lived closer to be of more help to you. We love you so much and will be thinking of you! Darcy

kiley barney said...

that was probably the neatest fast sundays of my life!!
the spirt was SO strong! good luck your guys are in all of our prayers! i miss being in your class we had so good times!

Kerri said...

We can't imagine what your family must be going through but please know you are in our families prayers each and every day!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing down all that you are going through and these neat experiences! What a testimony builder this was!! You guys are constantly thought of and prayed for. One day at a time!!!
Kristin

The Smith Clan said...

Andrea, Nichole and Denny informed us of the fast and told us about Testimony meeeting and the family prayer. We just want you to know you have been in our prayers since we heard about Travis. We fasted with the ward even though we couldn't be there. The Ward Family Prayer I'm sure was resoundingly heard in heaven. Amazing!! I put both of your names in the temple today while I was serving there. I am so impressed with the both of you. You are so strong! May the Lord's choicest blessings be with you right now! We Love You!!Les and Elaine Smith

Lori said...

Andrea-I am blog-hopping today and found yours. We have watched a few "Bachelor" episodes together and I am the one with boy/girl twins, as well. Just wanted you to know that your family is in our prayers. My testimony has been strengthened as I read about your experience in your ward. Take care of that sweet family of yours.
Lori Payne

akelly said...

All I can say is "WOW!" I know this post is old but I couldn't resist making a comment. I got emotional just reading the post. What an amazing ward! I am sure that there were others in that Ward Family Prayer that you could not see. I wish I could have shared that experience with you. May the Lord continue to hear all of the prayers on your behalf. And may you feel the love of all of those praying. We love you! Angie and Mike Kelly