Saturday, July 26, 2008

Frankenstein!


WARNING: This photo if not for the squeamish or faint at heart!

Can you even believe that incision? Wow!  I knew no one would even believe me without actually seeing it for themselves. They didn't have to shave much hair, so unfortunately my plans to give Travis a mohawk have been foiled. Just a quick update while I am home and taking my 2nd shower in over 4 days. Every day is better for Travis. His pain and nausea are totally under control. He ate a very healthy breakfast today consisting of frosted flakes, hot chocolate, cranberry juice and grapes. He even asked for a Twix and a Coke late last night. Yah, his special new diet will hopefully be short lived until I can get him home to his spinach and tofu smoothies! No one eats healthy at the hospital, right? Also great news, the lumbar drain was removed last night and he is off all monitors. We are waiting for a bed in a regular room, but he is off ICU status. He also isn't requiring pain meds as often.

We have an idea of what his recover is going to be like. A physical and occupational therapist both evaluated Travis and both recommended an inpatient rehab facility once he is discharged from the hospital. This will give Travis a fast track to overcoming the weaknesses he is having. The brain stem controls balance, coordination, vision, speech, swallowing, and a lot more. He is a little weak with the balance and coordination and vision. When I say weak, I mean he just needs some concentrated work to get back to normal. The therapists assured me that he can make a complete recovery. Inpatient rehab will move that along more quickly so Travis can get back to work and helping me out with the kids and house! He has been doing techniques already to improve all of this. He did mention to me and Kevin, the physical therapist at the hospital, that walking with the help of a walker and another person is "very humbling". But you should see him, he is soooo determined to bounce back quickly. He is truly the most positive and motivated I have ever seen him.

We are doing so well, mostly because of the HUGE support we are receiving for family and friends. My kids think this is the best vacation ever! They have loved spending time with wonderful friends and family. I don't know why, but it still makes me so emotional when I receive calls, emails, comments here, notes, etc. I feel absolutely no stress or anxiety about this process because I know I have countless people to help the second I ask. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! You are all angels to me.




14 comments:

kaleyq said...

What's wrong with a Twix and Coke diet? So, so happy that Travis is doing well! That is some incision--we hope that he continues to recover quickly. We love you guys!

Nichole Barney said...

We have been in California for the last couple weeks and you have constantly been in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad the surgery is over and things are looking up. Wow that scar makes me hurt looking at it! You are an amazingly strong person Andrea. Thanks for your example to us all. I am back in AZ now and would love to help. Let me know how I can any time!

Jenny Busby said...

Andrea-You are SOOOO AMAZING! Your positive attitude has been so inspiring to me during this MAJOR challenge. We think about your family very often and our prayers are with you! Cant wait to see you home and we will be right over with those Twix bars and Cokes. (I think he deserves them!)

Rhonda said...

That is quite the incision he has. I can't believe what he said to you when you first saw him. I wonder if he had that planned ahead of time. That is pretty funny. I'm so glad to hear that Travis is doing so well and you all continue to be in our family prayers. Yeah for a good appetitie. Keep me on your list when you need a babysitter.

Caryn said...

I could not wait to get back from my trip and check your blog. I am so glad things went well. We love you guys! Seriously, that incision is incredible. Crazy photo, thanks for sharing!!

Jaci said...

Andrea:
I'm using Jaci's account, because apparently I'm stuck in the 80's, and I'm not a blogger! I was so happy to get an update here. Looks like things went well. I'm in the middle of moving, so I have been unavailable to you, but that doesn't mean your family hasn't been in our thoughts and prayers since the surgery day. Please call me when you get a moment. I'd love to help out in any way that I can!
Love, Jill

lovinglife said...

Thanks for the update Andrea. You continue to be such rock. Wow--you both are so inspirational. I'm glad things are progressing. It's too bad Travis can't come to one of Nathan's rehab facilities. We'd take such good care of him. :) Thinking of you. Darcy

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

We are so glad to hear that Travis is doing so well. You and Travis and your family have been in our thoughts and prayers daily.
You two are are two of the most amazing people we know. We are so touched by your faith, stregnth and examples to us. We love you both and we will continue to pray for you guys.
All Our Love,
Brian and JoLynn Ellsworth

Joanna Heiden said...

Andrea
I am so so happy to hear of the successful surgery! I have been praying for you guys! We will continue, but I am just thrilled for you. The scar is going to make for some great Halloween costumes, just think what you can do! I will keep checking your blog for updates. Just know I am thinking of you often!

Kristen said...

Andrea, Wow!!!! Travis that is quite a scar. You are amazing and so strong. I am so glad that you both are doing better. Keep your chins up and know we are thinking of you and love you. Please call if you need anything. Cant wait for you to get to go home. There is no place like home.
Love: Kristen

Danny said...

Grateful to receive the postive update. What a blessing it is to have a sense of peace and comfort settle into our hearts that all will be okay. Thank you for your outstanding example of faith and courage.

Angie said...

Why would Travis want to eat Twix and coke when he could have a spinach and tofu shake?!?!?! (the second kind of sounds worse). Honestly, I am sooo happy that Travis is doing well. There is nothing cooler than some war-wounds. I just want to know if he remembers 'his comment' or was he totally drugged and doesn't remember saying it? Please give all of your kids a big hug from Addie and Jayne. We love you!

The Smith Clan said...

Andrea, We are so grateful the surgery went well. You have been in our prayers also! May the Lord's choicest blessings be with Travis and your family at this time! That scar is a killer!! Wow!! Love, Elaine

SBrooks said...

Hooray! Welcome home and further days of success in healing and a remarkable recovery!