Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Successful Surgery!

Finally an update!.........I've been living at the hospital the last 2 days with no computer. I came home to take a much needed shower and then I'm heading back to the hospital. Travis and I arrived at 5:30 am at pre-op on Tuesday morning. The anesthesiologist, Dr. Shedd, and the chief resident, Dr. Chang answered some questions about the surgery before having me and Travis' dad, Gerald say good-bye to Travis. It was a little emotional but I really tried not to be a crybaby. Then they whisked him away for surgery at 7:30 am. My parents and brother came to wait with me later in the morning and my sister, Emily and sister-in-law, Jodi joined us later after lunch. Gerald's wife, Linda also came later on. With all the company the time passed fairly well until about 2 pm. They told us it could take 4-6 hours but could very well take longer. By 2 pm I started pacing and getting antsy. I checked for an update at 2:30 when they told us they were closing up following surgery. It was another hour and a half before we heard anymore. Dr. Shedd came out to tell us that everything went well and a good deal of the tumor was removed. After this, everyone left except for me and Gerald. I was waiting alone when Dr. Spetzler came to give me information on the surgery. He said that he was not able to remove most of the tumor without a big risk to Travis. He said it was "scared tightly" or something like that. He said we would wait a couple days for pathology to come back. Also, Travis may be able to have gamma knife, which is a non-invasive surgery in which a precise laser of radiation is directed with scalpel-like beams that can possibly take care of the remaining portion of the tumor. This was a treatment that we had heard about early on, but because of the size of the tumor, Travis wasn't a candidate for before the surgery. I felt very happy to hear this news, as gamma knife is an amazing procedure with great results.

Travis was taken to recovery but I wasn't allowed to see him until they transferred him to ICU. That didn't happen until 6 pm. When I got there, I saw a nurse pushing a bed with a man on it and didn't immediately recognize that it was Travis. His eyes were swollen and he had neosporin-like stuff on them. His face was also a little swollen so he didn't look exactly like himself. I guess I must have stopped in my tracks and stared because the nurse stopped and asked me if I was with him. I told her that I was his wife. He looked like he was still asleep but she told him I was there. I  leaned down and said, "Hi hon, it's Andrea." His eyes flew open and he looked at me with overly open big blue eyes and whispered, "Who are you?" I immediately panicked but replied, "It's your wife!.....Andrea!" He then said in a raspy whisper, "I'm just messin' with ya." Can you believe that! Over 8 hours in brain surgery and he still has a sense of humor. (even at my expense......my nerves were shot!) 

The next 24 hours were definitely the hardest. He was hungry so they gave him ice chips. He immediately threw them up. Even with morphine, it only helps keep the pain from being intolerable. He has had a bad case of the hiccups off and on. This also triggers vomiting. By this morning, he is more talkative and will try standing and maybe walking. Our biggest obstacles are the nausea and major headaches. He has a very respectable incision in a zig-zag shape behind his right ear. They call his headache "incisional headache," even though the pain wraps around his whole head. The nurses tell me he is doing so great....better than most following such a difficult surgery. I am amazed how well he is doing. I think today will be better and he will keep improving from here.  I have been living on the very comfy sofa in his room, it makes for a decent bed too. I am so grateful to be able to stay 24/7 with him. There is a special place in heaven for those who are taking care of our kids for us until we are able to all be home together.

Travis has a lumbar drain to keep swelling off the brain. He has a little tube coming out of his lower back and a stand with a bag collecting spinal fluid. He gets it out tomorrow and then he will probably be moved out of ICU. We don't want any visitors for now in order to allow Travis to completely rest and recover. This has been helpful. He's really no fun to be around right now anyway! We are anxious to get pathology reports and post surgery MRI results back. We are through the worst part now, I think, but we still have a ways to go. 

I want to express my love to family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, everyone who has gone out of their way to show love, pray, fast, do service for our family. My faith is strengthened by your examples of love and charity. Also, I have to say that through this past few days, I have absolutely felt a peace and comfort that everything is going to be fine. Everyone would ask how I was doing on the surgery day. I never had a doubt that Travis would come out of it better than he went in. I know this feeling was a blessing from our Heavenly Father. I know He wants to bless our family. Through our faith and the faith of so many others, I know He can make Travis whole and healthy again. I just know it. Travis and I love you. All of you know who you are. We couldn't possibly do this without you.

16 comments:

Ronda said...

What a blessing and a miracle. Wonderful news! I love that Travis still has his sense of humor. Let us know if we can do anything and we will continue the prayers for your family.

Melanie said...

You guys have been on my mind non-stop these past few days. I'm so glad that the surgery went so well! That's great news that they may now be able to use the gamma knife to get to the rest of the tumor too. Modern medicine is amazing! And again, we would love to help out in any way you might need.

lovinglife said...

Oh Andrea, I am so thrilled things went so well. I kept checking your blog each day to see an update. I'm so glad things went well. You sound so good. I will keep you guys in my prayers. You both are so full of faith and determination. YOU guys are an example to ME. Thinking of you! xoxo

Angie said...

What a sigh of relief! I am so happy that things went well!!!! Truly, everyone's prayers have been heard! I can't believe that Travis said that! (chuckle chuckle) You will continually be in our prayers, hoping for a speedy recovery and that his nausea will go away quickly! We love you!

Kristen said...

Travis and Andrea, I have checked your blog everyday to finnaly get this great news. We are thrilled that all went well. I have told Ben everything and we have fasted and prayed for you both. We love you guys and want you to know that. What a blessing!!!!!
Love: Ben and Kristen

Snowball said...

So thankful, that all is well. Travis' friends here in Iowa are praying for Him. So grateful, Love, Joyce

Lori said...

I have been thinking of you, Andrea. I am so glad that things went well for Travis. We will continue to pray for you and your sweet family. Take care, Lori

Amy G. said...

what a funny guy and what great attitudes you all have had through this ordeal! we're glad to hear things are progressing along nicely!

jenreeder said...

So thankful all went well and like everyone has already said, you guys are in our prayers!

Crockett Family said...

We are so glad to hear the great news. We can't stop thinking about you and your family. We won't stop praying for all of you. Stay strong and keep up the good spirits, stay strong and everything will be okay. Hang in there we are here for you when you need us

Amy G. said...

Hey, I didn't want to bother you with a call so hopefully you'll check this, but be sure to call me if you need someone to watch the kiddos. I'll be leaving out of town next wed. but i'm free any time before then.
love you!
ames

Kate said...

Andrea- I am so happy to hear that things went well with the surgery! What relief to have that behind you guys and be able to focus on the next steps. I would also love to watch your kids anytime :)

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

We're so glad that things went so well. I've been thinking about you and your family and am relieved that things are getting better. Thank you so much for keeping us updated. We really appreciate that you can think of us while you're, well, very occupied. (What a joker that husband is.)

Tracey said...

I am so glad to hear all went well - your family will be blessed for what you have had to endure. We will continue to pray for Travis.

Kori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kori said...

You guys are such and inspiration!!!You are such great examples of being steadfast, immovable and longsuffering...I am so glad that the surgery went well. You are in our prayers and we love you!!! -- Kori