Monday, July 28, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Travis came home tonight!!! The past couple of days at the hospital he just blew everyone away with his "skills." He's been walking a bunch(he has his very own walker!), eating well, feeling great and pretty much off pain meds. He was really having a hard time getting any sleep at the hospital and nights were torture for him. They just went on and on. All the therapists were wowed by his progress and thought that outpatient therapy would be great. We are so happy about that because he's been getting very homesick. The idea of another week at an inpatient rehab was not looking very appealing to us. When they mentioned he was doing well enough to possibly go home today, we grabbed onto that idea and made it happen! I can't believe how difficult they make it for you to leave. It's such an ordeal. I found that the best approach was to be VERY assertive and basically act like a squeaky wheel they wanted to get rid of. By 7 pm we were on our way home. Travis was exhausted by the time we got home and was anxious to see the kids, have a smoothie (hee!), and go straight to bed. I am sure his recovery will really accelerate now that he is in the comfort of our home and with our crazy bunch of kids. Yes, I will ease him in with the kids so many of you may be adopting some kids here and there. And school does start next week. Is anyone else kind of excited about that and willing to admit it? So I plan on being very protective of Travis and nursing him back to his superhuman self in no time. We really limited visitors at the hospital and will probably keep it to family for the next couple of days. I  think he has some serious sleep deprivation and needs to catch up. I swear, aren't hospitals supposed to be a place to rest and get better? NOT!

We're so happy to be home. There truly is no place like home! (Thanks Kristen) It's been an emotional week. After being in the hospital for 7 straight days with no contact from our kids, that was tough on Travis. It was touching to see how tender he was as he embraced our kids, especially Ella. She's been very concerned and observant this week. She's experienced many lifetimes of doctors and hospitals in her short 5 years. I think she senses more than the others. We had the kids look at daddy's incision. The boys were not overly interested, but Ella and Olivia took it in and asked a lot of questions. More than anything, I know how relieved they are to have their dad home. 

9 comments:

jenreeder said...

I am SO happy that things are going well and that you guys are home. Thanks again for updating the blog... we have been concerned and keeping your family in our prayers and it's so nice to get an update. School started yesterday for our kids, but still keep us in mind for play dates! I loved having your boys and have a sweet story about Ryan when we get a chance to talk. I don't want to overwhelm you with phone calls! Anyway-- Ryan has won himself a sweet spot in my heart! Enjoy the family time and call if you need anything!

robin said...

YEAH!!!!! Give me a call if we can have some kids over.
Robin

Katy J said...

let us know if you need anything!!!! I don't do adults, but for You and Travis I would make an exception :). We are thrilled for your family -- Shaun and Kathryn

Kerri said...

I am SOOO glad to hear that he is home and doing well. You all have been in our prayers especially Travis. Kathy keeps us updated on his progress and we are so glad things are going good. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you and your family.

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

We are so thrilled to hear that Travis is home and doing well! We would love to bring you some dinner or help out with kids (I'm not sure how they would feel about going to a strangers house) but at any rate we would love to help you in some way. We will give you a call and see what we can do. Please take care!
Love, JoLynn Ellsworth

Manzo Family said...

Hi, I'm Joyce Jankiewitz's Grandaughter. I stayed at my grandma's house for a while when Travis was serving his mission there. One night i woke up with shaving cream all over my face and i see travis and his companion laughing at me. It was horrible cause the shaving cream got in my mouth. I've never forgotten that and then my grandma told me about your blog. I hope the recovery goes well, your family will be in our prayers.
And as for the shaving cream, don't feel too bad for me, i believe I got them back pretty good! Take Care!
Now that i think about it, you guys were at my wedding weren't you?

lovinglife said...

So glad you guys are HOME!! Hurray! Here's to a speedy recovery. Thinking of you. Darcy

Kelee said...

Nice!! I didn't think you were ever going to get out of the hospital that day! Way to take charge Andrea! We have really enjoyed having your boys in our home! My Ryan keeps asking,"When are the Williams kids coming back?" We will have to have them again when we get back in town. I'm sure they are so glad to be home with you and Travis though. We are so glad all has gone well! Love Ya!

Arian said...

Hi there, this is Jordan Hatch's wife, Arian. I just wanted to say that we are so happy to hear that everything is going well and that Travis is recovering so quickly. Your family will remain in our prayers!